The best care we can provide our young patients is prevention
Since the best filling is no filling at all, our goal is to have your child reach adulthood with a cavity-free smile. You are welcome to bring your child as soon as their baby teeth erupt. We start early to familiarise a child with the dental environment and to educate you about fluoride, diet, a child’s development and hygiene needs.
The best time to bring your child to the dentist is around 6 months after their first tooth erupts, or even earlier than that if you are worried about their developing oral health.
You should encourage your child to brush their teeth as soon as the teeth emerge
Assist them in completing this task and if necessary, brush your own teeth at the same time. Often children are happy to brush if you are consistent in setting a daily routine, which then becomes common practice in your household.
Depending on how many teeth your child has, you should brush their teeth for two or three minutes. One way to make this fun is to play their favourite song while they brush, it’ll also be a good indication of how long they should brush their teeth for.
If you need assistance on brushing techniques for children, try following some of the tips below, or alternatively, schedule a time to visit our practice for further information.
Tips for brushing children’s teeth
Try following some of the tips below, they may assist you in cleaning your child’s teeth comfortably and more effectively.
- You may find it easier to stand or sit behind your child, cradling their chin in your hand so you can reach their top and bottom teeth more easily
- Use a small soft toothbrush in small circular movements and try to concentrate on one section at a time
- Only use a pea size amount of low-fluoride toothpaste made for children. You should dispense this yourself until the child can do it effectively
- Don’t forget to brush gently behind the teeth and onto the gums
- Finally, remember to encourage your child, as praise will often get results
Looking for a family dentist near you?
Book an appointment with Dr Rammo at justSMILE located in Ramsgate Beach. As the principal dentist of justSMILE since opening in 2006, Dr Rammo services Ramsgate, Kogarah, Rockdale, Sutherland Shire and all suburbs surrounding and in-between.