Wisdom teeth are the last teeth to emerge, usually between 15 and 20 years of age.
Wisdom teeth are an evolutionary throwback to when humans were still hunter-gatherers and are now nothing more than another painful part of growing up.
Wisdom teeth are an exception to the rule. What rule? The rule that says extraction is a last resort. The rule that says your natural, healthy teeth are good for your oral health. Wisdom teeth are extracted to correct an oral issue, or to actively prevent one from arising. A number of problems can occur in relation to wisdom teeth, and these include:
- Your jaw may not be able to accommodate the new teeth, and they can become impacted and unable to break through your gums.
- Wisdom teeth may break partway through your gums, causing extra gum tissue to grow over them. Food and bacteria can become trapped under this gum tissue, and can cause infection.
- One or more of your wisdom teeth can come in at an awkward angle- which can misalign existing teeth and cause more serious problems such as infection, bone damage or a cyst.
At justSMILE in Ramsgate, we will assess your individual situation to decide the best way to extract your wisdom teeth.
The recovery time after wisdom teeth extraction should be a few days at most. During this time it is best to follow these helpful tips for a comfortable recovery:
- When lying down, prop your head up with pillows to discourage bleeding.
- Avoid physical activity for a few days.
- Use an icepack on the outside of your mouth for the first 24 hours. Switch this with a warm cloth for the next few days.
- Choose soft foods, and avoid using straws or touching the treated area.
- Continue to gently brush and floss your teeth.
- Do not smoke for at least 24 hours after surgery – this will dramatically delay healing.
Not that everyone’s wisdom teeth cause pain or even erupt. Did you know that around 15% of the world’s population don’t have wisdom teeth? That is, they naturally don’t have wisdom teeth—never did. But they are the lucky few. Although there are some who do have wisdom teeth and have no problems.
Do you need your wisdom teeth assessed?
Book an appointment with Dr Rammo at justSMILE located in Ramsgate Beach. As the principal dentist of justSMILE since opening in 2006, Dr Rammo services Ramsgate, Kogarah, Rockdale, Sutherland Shire and all suburbs surrounding and in-between.